Sunday, July 16, 2006

Merry ol' Merlin

More designs for the animation project I'm working on.

Usually when I have to design a character I get an initial image in my head about what that character would look like. I tend to follow my instincts and get that initial mental image down on paper. Sometimes it's fairly accurate and sometimes it's not, but it's always a good starting point.

Merlin has been done a thousand times and I felt that there was no need in this case to stray too far from the basic idea that people have come to accept for Merlin. So the sketching begins and the process here went something like this (in my head):



1 - too "Gandalf"



2 - too "Merlin" from Disney's "The Sword in the Stone" (a film I always liked)



3 - too... oh, I dunno, too stern maybe



4 - again with the stern



5 - too "Santa Claus"



6 - too "Ming the Merciless"

And then, finally, I got him. Then I do a few more sketches to make sure I can repeat the performance to my own satisfaction, and add the body. That part will get more attention later, but for now I think I really like him.



He started out rather skinny but went to plumpville as the designs went along. I figured: he uses magic all the time to do all the little chores around the castle, so really all he has to do is sit around, sip lemonade, and practice his spells. That, to me, says pleasantly plump. Having never really seen a more massive Merlin also helps because maybe it will bring a bit of freshness to the character. That's the idea anyways. Here's to hoping...

He's got a few funny things about him that I'm keeping secret for now - don't want anyone stealing the ideas. ;-) They really add to his character though, so hopefully at some point I'll be able to share that stuff.

Happy drawing!

No comments: