Wednesday, August 25, 2010

You, Yourself, and your Drawing

Super busy lately. I don't like going so long without a post so I'm putting up a drawing I did yesterday or the day before (the days all blur together when all you do is work work work). It's an unused drawing; part of the freelance illustration job I'm currently working on.

I think, in the end, I'm glad this one isn't being used. It's me. I often use myself as a model (I'm the only person I know who's always available when I need someone) but rarely do I ever try to keep 'myself' in the work. Actually I usually put a lot of effort into making sure the end result doesn't look anything like me. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don't.

One thing you'll learn by drawing yourself a lot is all your imperfections. They jump out at you when you start changing yourself to be more 'ideal'. So the me you see here is a slightly more ideal me. Not too much in the way of changes, but a few. The biggest change is the missing goatee. And the glasses. Then there's the face being a little thinner. The eyes are in line. I could go on...

No comments: