Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Let the sketches begin...

Here's the thing: the more I work on the live action movie and the animation project the more I realize that I can't share most of it. So instead I'm going to start focusing on sharing sketches most of the time and then other goodies when they happen. I've found myself able to sketch with more frequency lately, which I am very happy about, so here they come.

Last post I mentioned Tyler's Grandpa. Yeah yeah, I know I just said I can't share most of the project material I'm working on, but this is OK, me thinks. Anyway, we sort of knew what we wanted as far as Grandpa goes, so we didn't need too many variations on him. In a nutshell he's a cross between Sean Connery and Christopher Lloyd (Doc Brown from the Back to the Future movies).

The first sketch (in the first posted set of sketches) is my old fashioned anal "realistic" drawing, which I'm trying to get away from. This whole "animation" style of drawing is new for me, but I'm working on it as hard as I can. I love it.

So the next little head shot (in the first set) is more cartoony and it gets more so as we go along. By the third set of sketches you can see that we decided to try a heftier version, but we ended up making a different character hefty, so Grandpa went back to being thin. The last set of sketches are the only set I'm really happy with - it's all a matter of getting used to drawing in the more cartoony style. Slowly but surely I think I'm getting the hang of it. Of course I might be completely deluding myself...




No comments: